Our emblem is a standing angel holding a shield. For many years, alabaster has been used when carving effigies for tombs and the earliest record of Chellaston carvers is in St Peters Church, Lowick, Northamptonshire. The contract written in medieval French is displayed alongside the tomb of Ralph and Katherine Green, and is dated Feb 4th 1419.

As the tomb is clearly dated, it can be used to identify other carvings of the Prentys and Sutton workshop. Identification of Chellaston work is by comparison of the angel weepers around the base of the tomb chests.

In "A History of Chellaston", published by the Chellaston History Group, a survey is taken of various churches where examples of these carvings can be seen.